Sunday, February 14, 2010

20 Rules

This reading really made me think about the design process in perspective for me. Even though I was aware of most of the "rules" of graphic design, this reading made me really think about the creative process and how important each step is from start to finish. When you have a solid concept, the rest should come into place with time.

3 important rules:

I think that speaking with one visual voice is extremely important. This is one thing that I have really been trying to work on. Once I have a concept I need to ensure that all aspects of my work correlate with each other to create a whole, well rounded design. Consistency is very important and I am trying to incorporate that into my own work.

Be universal; remember it's not just about you. This is an important rule to consider because it is something that every designer needs to keep in mind. It's easy to get caught up in your work but it is crucial to step back and get another perspective and to consider who your audience is.

Move it! Static equals dull. I think this should definitely be a rule of thumb because designs with movement are almost always more successful. I need to make this more of a priority in my designs to ensure that they don't become "static." Designers want to create things that people want to look at because they are intrigued by something in the design.

3 to ignore:

Distribute light and dark like firecrackers and the rising sun. I feel that this is something important to keep in mind, but not all the time and for every design. Some projects may not require a vast difference between dark and light. Some designs may work better with similar colors depending on the concept, audience and product.

Ignore Fashion. Seriously. I don't feel that this concept should be a "rule" because I think it could be completely situational whether you follow fashion or currents trends. Ignoring what the audience expects and wants may not always be a situation with a positive outcome.

Look to history, but don't repeat it. I think that this rule could easily be broken by looking to history and understanding how design was at the time, and then potentially using techniques that were successful and made their designs work. Of course it wouldn't be okay to copy something that has already been done, but I think it would be beneficial to notice popular techniques that were successful and incorporate them into designs today.
3 to practice more:

The if you can do it with less, then do it rule is something that I have definitely been trying to work on. I am starting to realize that simplicity doesn't mean a bad or boring design, but done on purpose to ensure that the viewer can establish the most important thing without having to look/read through a lot of clutter in the design.

Negative space is magical- create it, don't just fill it up was another rule that I have been trying to incorporate more into my designs. It kind of coincides with the "doing it with less" but is another thing all in its own. White space can do wonders because it really helps the hierarchy stand out and creates a good, clean space for the viewer.

Another rule that I need to work on was about treating type as an image, as though it's just as important. This is one area that I know I need to work on, but really haven't in most of my designs. I need to find more ways to make a title more interesting. It adds a lot to a design because it is usually one of the most important parts.

1 comment:

  1. i agree with the treat type as an image because it is just as important as the image even though it is harder to work with

    ReplyDelete